Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ah football season again

I'm back playing the football pool organized by Aran Walter and the youth community at St. Thomas Episcopal church in Oshkosh Wisconsin.  The pool is called STYGNFLPEC which stands for Saint Thomas Youth Group National Football League something P, something E, something C.  I honestly don't remember.  It's a fun pool just for the bragging rights.

The concept seems easy enough.  Pick the straight up winner of each week's game and then assign a point value to it.  The idea is you assign the highest value to the game you're most confident in and the lowest to the one you have the least faith in.  At the end of the week's games your points are totalled up and the person with the most points at the end of the season wins.  Easy.

Yeah, right.

My goal each year is to finish in the Top 10.  My bottom standard is to finish in the top half of the entire field.  I think I've failed that bottom one once.  I don't believe I've ever finished in the Top 10.

So here we go.  Week 1.  A pretty good week.  I was let down by Cleveland (9 points), Denver (12 points) and NY Giants (14 points).  The Bengals, the Raiders and the Redskins were better out of the box than I expected.  Also missed that the Giants had as many injured.  For a first week (which is traditionally awful for me) 88 points and a 56.26% correct pick percentage was actually pretty good.  To be at the top of this poll I probably need to keep it in the 60% on picks (this weeks top player had 115 points and a 68% pick rate.  Best pick rate was 75% for places 2, 3, and 4.  Obviously they missed a bigger point game or two).  I'm #30 at the moment in  a field of 82.  So I'm OK.  As I said week 1 tends to be awful for me so I'm happy.  If Denver and the NY had come through for me I'd probably be about 10 places higher.  But that's the way it goes.

In case you wondering about why the Steelers didn't get a mention in the "let me down" list I had them as my 1 point game.  I knew that Baltimore certainly could beat them.  Beat them like a drum was NOT what I was expecting.

Next weeks games look like they'll be fun to pick as well.  Sigh.



















No comments:

Post a Comment