Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First Thoughts from the Monastery

Just some of the things that first came to me:

Dere's Wimmen here!

Don't know why that surprised me but it did.  There are at least as many female guests as male.  There's a Habitat for Humanity meeting of some kind going on.  A bunch of these folks seem to be from near Easton Maryland.  All very nice folks.

I didn't realize which ones were the monks.  Yes, I had them in robes at all times in my head.  So shoot me.  The brothers dress very casually so far except at worship where they wear robes.  Average age is probably in the 60's.  Ate lunch with two of them, talked mostly about iPads and computer technology.

We were read to at lunch.  A tradition for Benedictines I seem to remember (maybe other orders too).  Much to my surprise our reading at the moment is "Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame.  Toad has just revealed his plan to go on a trip with Mole and Rat in a caravan.  It was both rather surreal and delightful to sit and eat with a view of the Hudson River and have a monk read "Wind in the Willows" to you.  It's going to be a week of wonders I think, lol.

A moment to discuss food!  Now there's a wonder for you.  Selection is home style, here's what's to eat.  Dinner last night was a vegetable lasagna,  lunch today was salmon with wilted spinach in a miso glaze, rice, seaweed and mushrooms in a soy lacquer and cucumber and long bean salad (which also had spinach in it).  The food has been very nutritious and delicious.  Breakfast is done in total silence (the Great Silence each day ends after breakfast.  8:50PM to 8:30AM).  Not speaking to others is no problem but I tend to talk with myself.  Insert your snide remark here.

Chapel has been very different that anything I'm accustomed to but wonderful.  Lots of chanting of prayers and Psalms.  There are some long silences and I promised myself to simply be in the moment and not look at my watch.  Promptly caught one of the brothers checking his!

My cell (described previously) is simple but not spartan.  Double bed, desk and chair, armchair, dresser, two simple closets, two bed stands, various lamps and an alarm clock.  And a carpeted floor.  Nicer than any of my college dorm rooms by far.  Hall baths, two per floor.  Very nice.

And the writing moves forward.

From my prayer journal

First night at Holy Cross - You've brought me to a holy community Lord.  I find it both peaceful and intimidating.  Hearing Compline sung was beautiful and transporting.  The commitment to follow you in  this way and to this degree is a little scary.  I envy their commitment but not their path.  Help me to find that commitment I need for my own path.  Amen

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment