Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Lorica of St. Fursa

As I move into a new phase with my personal prayer I wanted to share this one, the Lorica of St. Fursa.  I came across it during my reading in Celtic spirituality.  What appealed to me was the images of all the senses being involved in our connection with God.  That total immersion in the relationship is what I believe we are called towards.

Not a lot is known about St. Fursa (also known as Fursey, Forseus and other similar names).  An Irish monk who lived in the early 600's he had visions of the next world and did much to spread Christianity in the British Isles especially in East Anglia.

A lorica is a protective prayer.  The best known to most people is St. Patrick's Breastplate (which you'll find at the link above as well).  They were not only used by the monks but often by knights as well. 

The Lorica of St. Fursa
The arms of God be around my shoulders,
the touch of the Holy Spirit upon my head,
the sign of Christ's cross upon my forehead,
the sound of the Holy Spirit in my ears,
the fragrance of the Holy Spirit in my nostrils,
the vision of heaven's company in my eyes,
the conversation of heaven's company on my lips,
the work of God's church in my hands,
the service of God and the neighbor in my feet,
a home for God in my heart,
and to God, the Father of all, my entire being.
                                                  the Lorica of St. Fursa

No comments:

Post a Comment