Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reflection on the Book of Common Prayer

I will start with a disclaimer that won't help with some folks but I'll try.

I LOVE the Book of Common Prayer (BCP). In my humble opinion it is the crown jewel on the Anglican church. It still amazes me with it's depth and beauty and relevance to the entire life and lifetime of a believer. I know I'm not alone in those feelings both inside our tradition and outside. I love the story that author Steven Case tells of falling in love with the BCP during his time as an Episcopal youth minister (Case grew up in a very different tradition) and wrote "The Book of Uncommon Prayer" because he wanted a way to bring the beauty he found in this denominational worship book to a larger audience.

So you may safely categorize me as a "BIG FAN OF THE BCP".

But if you think it's a great resource for a newbie at personal worship, you're nuts. This book should come with an instruction manual.

I can feel the blood pressure rising in some out there in reader-world. Take a deep, cleansing breath before you start kindling the auto-da-fé.

In an earlier post I chronicled the trouble I ran into using the Daily Devotions for Individuals and Families. Remember I've been an Episcopalian my entire life (wait, do you know that? I was baptized into our tradition at 28 days of age. Outside of those 28 days and a 15 year gap when I attended only infrequently I've gone to Episcopal services with some regularity. This is what I know) and I still got turned around.

It began with the Canticles. First, what IS a canticle? Ten seconds to come up with an answer. (Jeopardy thinking music plays - Doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo...)

My bet is that the clergy came up with an answer and the more hardcore lay. The rest of us? Some probably have never even heard the word.

Canticle - a song or hymn from the Bible (generally excluding the Psalms). The Te Deum an ancient Christian hymn is also included.

Now more questions - Where do you find them? How many are there? How do I use them? None of these questions are complicated, there are 21 of them, you'll find them in middle of Morning Prayer (but split between Rites I and II) and some guidance on which to use can be found on pages 144/145.

NONE OF WHICH IS OBVIOUS. In fact if you go to where they're found (beginning on p.47 and p.85) you have to read the small print to even know that these ARE the canticles! Given the format they look like Psalms (which, as we ALL know, are found elsewhere).

If you're pooh-poohing right now remember that I'm talking about anyone who has little or no experience with the BCP beyond the Eucharist. Which is probably a fairly large percentage of us. While Morning and Evening Prayer were much more common a generation or two ago they are not anymore.

My friend Liz, in her comment to my previous post, asked if the BCP was "...written for the insider only?" I think that's an excellent question. We've all heard for years the critique of the "Episcopal Juggling Act" of bulletin, Hymnal and BCP during worship, the last requiring that infernal flip-flip-flipping back and forth. If you're trying to begin a private practice of prayer and are faced with the really unnecessary difficulties presented at times by the BCP you might certainly give up or go elsewhere.

Morning and Evening Prayer aren't much better. You're faced with all kinds of choices, some obvious, some not, plus there is an expectation that you know how to do some things. Like know which Readings are indicated or which Psalm. It's intimidating and that stands as a barricade in the road toward the Divine.

And that's just not right.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment