Wednesday, January 1, 2014

And On to a New Year

So this is 2014?
Nice.
So far, at least.

Let's get started this year with some thought about why we do what we do and what we are going to do this.

This blog will continue to be "home base" for my radio show "The View From the Phlipside" (now airing M-F at 8 AM and 5 PM on WRFA-LP, Jamestown, NY).  I haven't noted in a while that what you see is the relatively rough scripts that I write each week.  I spend a little time cleaning them up but I just don't have the time and energy to turn them into proper essays.  When I record them I count on my ability to shape them as I go along.  This results in some convoluted sentence structure in the scripts and some missing punctuation and grammar points.  They are what they are and they are written to be spoken aloud.

I will continue to offer some reviews of movies and books.  My focus will be more on older materials.  The reason for this is that there is plenty of contemporary reviews of new media.  The hope of these reviews has always been that I can point people to things that they may not know or may know but aren't sure if they would like.  For all the media that is created new in this age there is still a massive backlog of things too good to simply fall away.  Because I don't get to see as many new movies in the theater as I'd like I'll still watch and review newer stuff too.  But the focus will be on older materials.

There is something new that I hope to explore this year.  That's the highest quality material available on the web.  This will NOT be a review of dog/cat videos and the like.  I believe that there is some real quality material out there that doesn't get the attention it deserves.  I want to be part of fixing that.  If I'm wrong then the Internet is really nothing more than a children's toy and we need to face that if true.

Over the next couple weeks I hope to take some time to fiddle with the site, re-arrange things, maybe remodel the place a bit.  For the moment I am unemployed and so I have the time to go a little deeper.  I also hope to do some writing that looks a little deeper that I can spread across at least the next couple months along with the usual suspects (Great movie, by the way, "The Usual Suspects".  It's the movie that made me say "Kevin Spacey?  Gotta keep my eyes open for this guy").  These posts will appear (assuming I find something worth including) as "The Best of the Web".  I'm kind of looking forward to exploring all this.  If you have a suggestion feel free to pass it along via the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment