Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Driving Rant

Coming home from meetings in Buffalo today and had one of my favorite pieces of stupid driving take place.

Here's the scenario:

I'm in the right hand lane, usually doing a couple MPH over the speed limit.  Another car comes up in the fast lane and passes me.  There is no other traffic in our vicinity.  Clear in front of me for about 1/4 of a mile and nothing in his lane as far as the eye can see in front or to his rear.

He then pulls into my lane about two car lengths in front of me!

Why?!?!?!?!

This is an incredibly unsafe pass.  A small problem with his car, or an animal running into the lane or (a recent likelihood) something blows into the road and we can be looking at MAJOR problems.  If he needs to brake suddenly in front of me I'm parked in his back seat.

AND THERE'S NO REASON TO CHANGE LANES THAT QUICKLY!

He has all the room in the world to move safely into my lane.  This isn't racing as much as some morons out on the Interstates seem to think it is.

Unless I HAVE to move over more quickly I wait (as I was taught) till I'm 6-10 car lengths clear of the car I'm passing.  The easy thumbnail is to wait until the entire front of the car you're passing is easily visible in your rear view mirror from your normal driving position.  30 years later my daughter was taught the exact same thing by her driving instructor (not me).

Travelling down the road in vehicles that weigh 2 tons or more at 60 or 70 miles an hour (or more for those of you in some kind of stupid hurry) is a dangerous activity.  Insisting on driving in an overly aggressive manner is just a sure way to end up dead.

I would kindly ask that you do that somewhere that won't result in your taking me with you.

You moron.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment