Tuesday, November 30, 2010

View From the Phlipside - Toyota Tundra ads

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, Radio, the Movies and more.  I love them and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View From the Phlipside.

Given the number of times that I’ve taken an ad campaign to task on this program it would probably only be fair for me to hand out the occasional pat on the back for ads that I think go above and beyond as well.  Let me note that I’m not endorsing any product or service here, I’m just saying the ad campaign does a really nice job.

In this day of computer graphics and special effects I tend to just yawn when I see something spectacular on an TV commercial.  I just assume it’s not real and that takes a fair amount of the “thrill” away for me.  Starting a couple years ago I began to notice one campaign that was very careful to note that these were “Actual Demonstration”s.  The first couple times I saw it my reaction was “Really?”.  But after three years at
least I need to give the nod to the folks on the Toyota Tundra ad campaign.  Tundra is Toyota’s big pick up truck and that market is a tough one.  Virtually all of the makers spend their advertising money trying to prove to us how tough they are.  Toyota has taken it one step further.


Remember the truck running up the teeter totter with a ten thousand pound load behind it?  Accelerating to 60 miles an hour through a closing steel door then slamming on the brakes before it plunged off the end of the ramp into the canyon?  How about racing between two swinging arms?  Every one of was an actual demonstration, not CGI magic.  Over the weekend I caught the newest one, which involved pulling a heavy load up a spiral ramp surrounded by flames.  This apparently was the Toyota Super Bowl spot this year but I honestly don’t remember seeing it.  I have no use for a heavy duty pick up truck but I can’t take my eyes off of these commercials.  What they are doing is really impressive and really dangerous.  I’m sure they have all the safety precautions in place and have done all the figuring before hand but even so.  The spots are the work of ad giant Saatchi and Saatchi.

These spots have real “Wow” factor and they do it without cheating.  They make you watch spots for a product that you’ll probably never actually buy.  And the memory of the spots stick with you.  That’s some great advertising.  We don’t see nearly enough commercials this good.

Call that the View From the Phlipside.

No comments:

Post a Comment