Friday, December 30, 2011

View From the Phlipside Radio - The Dumbest Story of 2011 (and 2012)!

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, radio, the movies and more.  I love them, and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View from the Phlipside.

End of the year and I like to take a look back at the topics that we’ve talked about here.  This year I thought I’d do a best, worst and dumbest ideas of the year.  These are topics that bubbled to the surface this year that will carry forward into 2012.  This time let’s take a look at my dumbest topic nominee.

This one could have gone for the worst idea but I think it falls just short.  It’s just a dumb idea that some folks just won’t let go on.  It’s 3-D.  Every couple decades we have another resurgence of the attempt to create a three dimensional visual image for the big screen.  This time it’s also lapped over onto the small screen.  I need to acknowledge that I came to this latest attempt at 3-D with a negative attitude.  I’ve seen too many attempts in the past that never tried to get beyond the gimmick aspect of it.  What one friend of mine has described as the “jumpy outty parts”.  Beyond that you still have to deal with those dumb glasses which are an even bigger problem for those of us who wear presription glasses.

When Avatar came out in 3-D I thought we’d finally gotten over the hump.  Avatar gave us a reason for 3-D, it made the story better.  It was visually stunning.  The problem is that NONE of the movies I’ve seen since in 3-D meet the standard.  Even without jumpy-outty parts the 3-D adds nothing.  It’s still just a gimmick.
And then we talk about TV.  What a complete and utter non-starter of an idea.  Television is too deeply set in the American way of life.  So making it more complicated is just a bad idea.  Add in the dumb glasses some of which apparently need batteries and I just end up shaking my head.  When they start talking about putting major sporting events in 3-D then I’m totally confused.  So I’m either supposed to have enough TV glasses for everyone at my Super Bowl party or do I only invite folks who own them?  Just dumb.  And headed for the dustbin is my bet.

Here’s to the New Year.  Which will be just fine in 2D thank you.

Call that the View From the Phlipside

No comments:

Post a Comment