Tuesday, October 5, 2010

View From the Phlipside - Jamestown Writes

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media. TV, Radio, the Movies and more. I love them and I hate them and I always have an opinion. Call this the View From the Phlipside.

I had my daughter Rachel on the show last week to talk about a new project that we’re facilitating this year called Jamestown Writes. We talked a little about the how and a lot about the when but didn’t spend a lot of time talking about the why. So I thought I’d give it a shot.

Story telling is a fundamental part of the human being and all the societies we create. Most of what I talk about on this program every week is really nothing more than story telling. Books, movies, TV shows, all stories. Play video games? More stories. When you get together with friends what do you do? You tell stories. For me Jamestown Writes is about helping people to tell stories. To help people tell stories better.

Story telling is both a gift and a craft. There’s a scene in the movie “My Favorite Year” where two characters discover that you can teach the craft of story telling (it’s amazing how simple most of it is) but you can’t teach the art. I believe that a lot more people have that gift for the art than think they do. The great thing about writing your story is that you don’t have to worry about stage fright. Not everyone is as comfortable in front of an audience as I am. So writing, an essentially solitary endeavor, is a way that allows anyone to tell a tale.

If you’ve always wanted to write but can think of any number of reasons why you can’t come join us at Jamestown Writes. We’ll help you get past those obstacles you think are in your way. If you’re already a writer and you’re looking for community and support join us at Jamestown Writes. Come share with us how you approach the problems and the craft of writing.

Jamestown Writes will meet Saturday mornings from 10 till noon at the Wright Gallery at Arts Council building in Jamestown. There is no cost thanks to a grant from the Arts Council. You don’t have to make every meeting. On Saturday the 9th we’ll gather, introduce ourselves and see where we need to go, and what we want to do. Our hope is that folks will want to take a stab at the National Novel Writing Month but even that will be left up to you. We’ve scheduled meetings through December 4. Where we go from there is anyone’s guess.

If you’re interested call Len Barry at the Arts Council.

But first and foremost come tell your story.

Call that the View From the Phlipside.


"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment