Monday, October 18, 2010

View From the Phlipside - Google Cars

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, Radio, the Movies and more.  I love them and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View From the Phlipside.

As with everything in this world folks usually have an opinion about just about everything.  In the media world for example you may love Apple or hate it.   Facebook, love it or hate it.  I hear from both sides of the fence on all the issues.  So let me be upfront and say that I really like Google.  I use a lot of Google services - Gmail, Reader, Documents, Calendar and more.  I also know that a lot of folks think that Google is trying to take over the world.  I always thought that concept was a little over the top.  Just a bit heavy on the hyperbole.

Now, well maybe I’m not so sure.  At the very least I wonder if Google is sticking it’s nose in where it doesn’t need to be.

As long as I’m being upfront then I need to be honest about something else for this story.  I love cars and driving.  Given that my everyday job covers the seven western counties of the state that’s a good thing.  I grew up in a car family.  My dad was a gear head from way back.  I had to be able to describe the workings of an internal combustion engine (among other things) before I was allowed to drive his cars.  Cars are a serious subject in my family.

Where do these two truths intersect?  Well it seems that Google is going to take the latest shot at creating...the self driving car.  The concept has been around for decades.  Remove that fallible human driver and replace it with an infallible computer.  Now I’ve seen the way some of you drive and I certainly think that some of you could be replaced for a great social benefit.

But I still hate this idea.  First because I’m not convinced that the system could be built to really deal with all the possibilities out there.  Second because even as much as I like Google it still screws up too often for me to turn my driving over to them.  I’ve seen the statistics on highway deaths and I’d love to bring them down.  When your solution is to take responsibility out of the hands of the users you’re basically saying they’re too stupid to get any better.  Want to save lives on the highways?  Make it harder to get a license, require re-testing periodically of ALL drivers.  Google has lots of good ideas but this is a bad one.

You want a good one?  Everyone ought to learn how to drive, not just operate a car.

Call that the View From the Phlipside.


"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment