Wednesday, October 13, 2010

View From the Phlipside - Jamestown Writes 2

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, Radio, the Movies and more.  I love them and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View From the Phlipside.

The Jamestown Writes project got off to a roaring start this past weekend.  In case you’re wondering if you’re going to hear about this EVERY week for the next two months I promise you’re about to get a break after this one.  I promise.

But I wanted to share with everyone what happened with our first meeting.  First I was really excited to see over 10 people who had called in in advance.  Not everyone could make the first meeting but we picked up at least one person whose name wasn’t on the list so that was pretty cool.  By the way if you missed the first meeting don’t worry.  Just show up when you can.

The second exciting thing for me was the diversity of the group.  We have poets and novelists and flash fiction writers.  We’ve got people that have been writing for years and some who are just getting started.  One member is currently editing a novel of more than 150 thousand words!  Another has had their words performed in public.  College students, farmers, school librarians and more.  Perhaps not so suprising a fair number of us have already taken a shot at the National Novel Writing Challenge before.  But not everyone.  So it’ll be an interesting group to work with over the next couple months.

We spent our first meeting just going over the concept of Jamestown Writes, introduced ourselves, talked about resources and software that are available.  We also spent some time talking about the question of time and space for writing.  And right off the bat we found the ways that we’re different.  I just plug in my iPod, hit shuffle and listen to whatever comes up (I do it while I write these programs as well.  I’ve just listened to The Weavers, James Taylor and Sarah Vaughn), meanwhile two other members need specific “soundtracks” for their project and one member said he needed complete silence!

Again Jamestown Writes is a project supported the Chautauqua County Council for the Arts.  The cost is free and if you’re interested, you’re invited.  Saturday mornings at 10 in the Wright Gallery at the Arts Council building on Third Street in Jamestown.  

Call that the View From the Phlipside.


"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment