Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review - Be The Monkey

Be The Monkey - Ebooks and Self-Publishing  - A Conversation Between Authors Barry Eisler and Joe Konrath

This is a different kind of book about the new different kind of books.  Eisler and Konrath are successful authors who are making money (even serious money) by publishing digitally.  The book is the record of a live Google Docs conversation between them back in 2011.  Just shortly before the conversation Eisler turned down a two book, $500,000 contract with St. Martin's Press because he believed he would be better served to publish those books himself.

The conversation takes your through the entire argument for self publishing ebooks - creative control, financial and longevity.  You should be warned - this are two long time friends and they don't edit themselves in this forum.  Some of the stuff in here is a little raw (like the subject of the title.  I'm still afraid to follow the link provided) but all of it is compelling.

I was traveling recently and turned to this book because nothing else in my Nook grabbed me.  I thought I'd while away long hours in airports and planes.  What I got was a book that I could not set down.  As a hopeful author and long time student of new media these two deconstructed several long held beliefs and put a perfectly rational replacement in each place.

This isn't a book that is going to interest everyone.  In fact you have to be into the intricacies of book publishing or an author to find this book attractive at first blush.  But I would recommend that anyone interested in the future of books read this short (141 pages) but powerful book.

Rating - **** Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment