Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Movies - Thor, Avengers, Hunger Games, Midnight in Paris

And here's the absolute latest I've seen, including several in theaters!

Hunger Games - (2012) - Had no idea what to expect when I went to see this movie except that I had heard people just raving about both the books and the movie.  What I got was a pretty impressive movie that works at multiple levels.  It's great Young Adult fare but also offers some intriguing thoughts about politics, society and current events.  The performances are very strong and the story is solid.  The movie moves forward at a good pace but never sacrifices character or plot.  I'm not at all surprised that this has taken the early teen demographic by storm and taken a fair number of adults with them.  I'm told the books grow darker as the trilogy progress and that the third book is found the most disturbing.  It will be interesting to see how they handle that (although the Harry Potter books also became darker and more adult as they progressed as well.  The author and movie makers should dream of being as successful)
Rating - **** Must See

Thor - (2011) I was absolutely pre-disposed by the trailers to dislike this movie.  It just seemed mindless and idiotic.  Turns out it was better than that.  Not a great movie (really doesn't hold a candle to the first Iron Man or the next movie down here) but a perfectly acceptable one that has some pretty good moments.  Thor isn't the easiest character to bring to the screen because of the many elements of high opera that come along with him.  The movie balances the classic character with some appropriate modern spark.
Rating - *** Worth a Look

The Avengers - (2012) - This movie really would have had to work at failing.  The cast is great, the characters have been largely established solidly in previous hit movies and you have Joss Whedon writing and directing.  Whedon shows his trademark touch with ensemble pieces that highlight everyone with memorable material.  Even the bad guy gets some great screen time.  It's comic book good times at its very best.  Seeing Iron Man, Capt. America and/or Thor will help you get some of the inside jokes but you certainly don't need to see them to enjoy it.  And enjoy it you will.
Rating - **** Must See

Midnight in Paris -(2011) - I need to come clean here.  I really had no intention of seeing this movie.  Director Woody Allen's recent stuff hasn't excited me and Owen Wilson in a leading role has just been too disappointing too often.  When I expressed my doubts the film critic at the Tyler Morning Telegraph (Stewart Smith, a bright and insightful up and comer in the movie review business.  And oh yeah, my cousin) informed me that if I didn't like the movie we'd have to settle our differences outside.  Seriously?  Seriously.  So I kicked it up to the top of my Netflix queue.  And would like to say publicly that Mr Smith was correct in all aspects.  This movie is a delight.  Allen shows a wonderful deft touch and Wilson is pitch perfect in the lead as a Hollywood writer who fell in love with the image of Paris in the Roaring '20s.  The problem is he's stuck with his self centered fiancee (Rachel McAdams) in the 21st Century.  Or is he?  I dare you not to fall in love with Paris.  Having seen this one now I'm not so sure I'd still pick "The Artist" as the Movie of the Year Oscar winner.  Still love the modern silent but I don't think it was better than this.
Don't agree?  Stewart and I will meet you outside.
Rating - *****  Add It to Your Collection

Les Diaboliques - (1955) This is what a suspense movie is supposed to look like.  Fabulous in black and white and with subtitles this French classic follows the wife and mistress of an abusive school headmaster as they plot and execute his murder.  Except things don't seem to go the way they expect. This movie honestly scared the bleep out of me once and honestly horrified me once as well.  Carefully paced and never giving into cheap sensationalism the movie is carried by the three main characters.  Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot (wife of the director) and Paul Meurisse.  A great twist at the end as well.  Wow.  Just wow.
Rating - **** Must See

Adam's Rib -(1949) - Here's a classic that I don't think I've ever seen the whole way through before.  Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn...OK I can just stop right there can't I?  A romantic comedy's romantic comedy.  Written by Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin just for the stars it's the story of two lawyers who end up on opposite sides of the same marital dispute.  The dialogue crackles and the deep connection between Hepburn and Tracy shines through.  The direction strikes me as a little "stagey" but even that works nicely.  Also interesting watching the arguments about the law and equal protection under the law is beautifully argued in a comic setting.  There's a reason why it's a classic
Rating - **** Must See

No comments:

Post a Comment