Friday, May 18, 2012

Bill Murray goes straight

If you had told me that someone was considering Bill Murray for a "straight" role (rather than comedy) I probably would have shrugged.  What most folks learn over the years is that comic actors can be brilliant straight actors.  In the words of the great Shakespearean actor  Edmund Keen is credited with the line "Dying is easy.  Comedy is hard" and that seems to support the idea that is you can do comedy well you should be able to handle drama.  Certainly Murray at his best in comedy (Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters, Stripes, Caddyshack) is howlingly funny.  He's done some serious stuff before even to critical acclaim (I will admit I don't get "Lost in Translation" which for me is a big Seinfeld of a movie - about nothing).

However if you had suggested that he play Franklin Delano Roosevelt I'd have doubted your sanity.  Yet this trailer seems to indicate that I would have been wrong.  It's always possible that all the best stuff is in the trailer but I'd bet not.  I will certainly keep my eyes on this one, due out on Pearl Harbor Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment