Tuesday, January 11, 2011

View From the Phlipside - Mark Twain

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, radio, the movies and more.  I love them, and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View from the Phlipside.

My first reaction to the current Mark Twain controversy was as a book lover and writer.  And that was outrage.  Twain is the first great American novelist, one who wrote from a truly American point of view and with an American voice.  You simply don't mess with the works of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, which was Twain's real name.

The controversy is about a new combined publishing of the books "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer".  To avoid controversy the editor has replaced racially sensitive language like the "N" word with the word "slave".

I hate the N word.  I don't use it and I dislike hearing other people use it.  So part of me agrees that the world might be a better place without the 200 some usages in the books.  But then the writer rears his head again.  Twain chose THAT word and any writer can tell the importance of using the right word in the right place.

And so I looped round and round and round.  Here are the conclusions I've come to:

The publisher is doing this NOT out of any great sense of justice.  They're doing it because they'll be able to sell more books this way.  No judgment there I just want to make sure we're clear on motive.

The real problem here is NOT the word.  The word is a problem, don't get me wrong. But the real problem is that taking on this word, or any other like it, in this fashion is a complete failure in education.  What needs to be done is for teachers to take the time to teach this book in context.  The social context of the time, the background on Twain and his beliefs.  Sadly teachers have less and less time to do this kind of quality, in-depth teaching.  Because they have to "teach to the test" in depth teaching is often the first thing that goes over the side.  To place a 21st century voice in a 19th century mouth is wrong.  To try and paper over the the deep psychic wound of the American soul that is racism and slavery should be anathema to any educator or educated person.  As parents we should demand that our children be taught beyond platitudes and rote formulae.  The ability to understand and analyze complex situations that are outside our common experience should be at the center of our teaching of literature.

Our children, our nation and our future deserve and require that Mark Twain be allowed to be Mark Twain.

Call that the View From the Phlipside.




"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment