Tuesday, December 7, 2010

View From the Phlipside - Jamestown Writes Update

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, Radio, the Movies and more.  I love them and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View From the Phlipside.

Almost two months ago a I mentioned a new media project that I was helping to launch and I promised that I wouldn’t make you listen to me talk about it every week through the project.  Well phase one of Jamestown Writes has come an end and I thought I’d catch you up on it.

Jamestown Writes was/is a project to bring together writers in the Jamestown area.  I partnered with my daughter Rachel as the facilitators and we used the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) as our center piece.  To be honest we had no idea how many people might be interested or really even how to go about running a writer’s group.  In true Phillippi fashion we simply decided to make it up as we went along.

As it turned out my stroke severely limited my ability to be involved at pretty much any level for more than half of the project.  Kudos to Rachel for stepping into a role with which she was not particularly comfortable and pulling it off.  Because my recovery covered the entire time of the project I did zero writing.  I’m happy to say that I am very much the exception in the group at large.

Jamestown Writes saw a total of 20 writers show up for at least one meeting.  The group  seemed to settle in between 6 and 10 regulars.  And we had at least 4 writers complete the NaNoWriMo challenge of writing fifty thousand words of a novel in 30 days.  We had several other writers make very serious runs at it  as well.  To be honest those numbers were much higher than we expected and it was a great start.

Because this little launch program was just a start.  The group has decided to continue on.  So if you’re a writer in the Jamestown area and you’re looking for a writer’s support group we’d like to invite you to join us.  The group is still feeling it’s way along as to an identity but we’ll certainly be looking at the both the creative side and the professional side of writing.  For the moment we’ll be meeting starting at 10 AM the first and third Saturdays of each month on the second floor of the Arts Council building on Third Street in Jamestown.  We welcome writers of all types, formats and genres.

Call that the View From the Phlipside.


"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment