Monday, December 20, 2010

View From the Phlipside - Christmas Movies

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, Radio, the Movies and more.  I love them and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View From the Phlipside.

And the usual ranting about Christmas is well under way. The "Happy Holidays" rant, the "They've stolen Christmas" rant, all the usual suspects. I'm tempted to add a little rant of my own, mostly about how tired I am of the other rants. Instead let’s take a look a something important.  Like the most important Christmas movies and TV specials

It's Christmas. Make of it what you will. Maybe it’s a high holy day for you.  Maybe it’s really about Santa and the swag under the tree.  Maybe it’s just something to be survived.  Go for it.  I intend to revel in the midnight mass at my home parish. Smells and bells, and a full choir and all the decorations. I will rejoice in the arrival of the Messiah and the miracle of it all.
In the meantime let’s focus on what we can agree on.  Movies and TV specials have become an important part of getting ready for the season.  I'm going to enjoy my favorite Christmas specials. I own a copy of just about all of them:
WKRP in Cincinnati Christmas episode - a great show about radio and a great riff on Dickens.

A Charlie Brown Christmas - If I only could have only one this is it.  It’s amazing how well it holds up after all these decades.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - love it.  Yukon Cornelius and stop action animation.

The Homecoming - Christmas with the Waltons. A truly classic Christmas story

How The Grinch Stole Christmas - animated original only, don't bring that other one 'round here.

Scrooge (A Christmas Carol) - The Alistair Sims version or the Mr. Magoo version both classics

White Christmas - yeah, only nominally a true Christmas story but I love it.
A Wish for Wings that Work - OK my natural weirdness bubbles up on this one. This is the Bloom County animated special. It's very hard to find but my most excellent brother got it for me.

Miracle on 34th Street - the original only thank you very much.

There are lots of others out there (I will no doubt get an earful about omitting “A Christmas Story” or “Elf”.  Sorry neither make my cut).  So watch what puts you in the mood, have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday and God Bless us everyone!

Call that the View From the Phlipside.



"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment