Tuesday, July 6, 2010

View From the Phlipside - Mega corporation follies

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, Radio, the Movies and more.  I love them and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View From the Phlipside.


There was a time back in the what, ‘80’s and early ‘90’s, when it seemed like every big company had one goal.  To become even bigger.  To have a finger in every possible pie and expand their reach.  Seems to me that within a decade those same companies began to sell off many of those businesses.  They were referred to as “non-core” businesses.  In other words they were companies that offered services or made products or competed in markets that the parent company simply didn’t understand very well.  And they had discovered that not knowing what you were doing was really a bad business plan.


Somehow that lesson doesn’t seem to have made the jump to some of the big technology companies.  They seem intent on doing the same thing all over again.  I begin to wonder if the result will be any better.


Take a look at Microsoft’s desperate attempts to create consumer products.  In other words the devices that use all that spiffy software they create.  Time and again they come up short.  The Zune has made no noticeable impression on the iPod, the tablet computer they were talking up died virtually the instant the iPad debuted and an mobile phone they spent two years developing, the Kin, was killed only months after it’s launch.  Apple is bound and determined to move into the TV business, even though they crashed and burned once in this field (and they’re not alone in that) and Google is now into the Voice over Internet Protocol business, is planning a music service later this year and apparently is thinking about moving into the bookstore business as well.


To be perfectly honest I’m not a big fan of super corporations.  No matter what business they are in.  I’ve talked before about my reservations concerning Apple’s tendency to place themselves in the parental role over what I can and can not access through their devices.  I have great respect for expertise.  If I want to buy a book I want to talk with someone who knows, lives and breathes books, same for music, movies, TV and even the devices I may use to see, read or hear them.


The track record for corporate jacks of all trades is pretty poor.  My bet is that isn’t about to change.  Looks like some folks are just slow to learn.


Call that the View From the Phlipside.

"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment