Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Book Review - Happy Face

Happy Face by Christopher Reel (2010) - There's a story that goes along with this book.

The story begins here at Soho Pizza on Market Street in Philadelphia.  I had to be in the City of Brotherly Love for a couple days of meetings.  As is traditional with my travels I had some challenges.  In this case it was a simple if annoying one.  I boarded my place too long before lunch to eat and arrived well after.  So I was starving and needed something quick to tide me over.  A couple blocks walk brought me to Market and my eye settled on Soho.  Just what I was looking for.  It was mid-afternoon so the place was deserted other than a couple young guys talking about the Eagles.  I grabbed two slices and a drink (the two slices was a mistake.  I forgot how big slices are on the East Coast) and sat down in the window by the ATM sign with my Nook e-book reader.  Heaven.

While I was sitting there a young black man approached me. He had noticed I had the Nook and wanted to talk with me about a book he had published.  I give him huge credit for courage.  To walk up to a total stranger and follow your dream.  Christopher Reel was the perfect gentleman, spoke briefly about the book, asked me to consider buying, then wished me well and took his leave.  He really impressed me so I looked up the book and bought it.

What a great surprise I found when I opened it.  Root begins with a fabulous image.  In describing the lives of most people he turns to mythology.  We are Sisyphus, the Greek kind condemned to forever roll a stone uphill without ever reaching the top.  But Root goes beyond the simple image, he actually develops it.  With it he hooked me in the first two pages.

It is the story of a young man just out of jail.  Trying to find his place in a strange world beset by ghosts of his past.  Here's how the author introduces the character:
I, Archibald Johnson, am of the confused, the lonely, the skeptical, the lost, the exiled, the sick the stupid, the ironic, the...
And then just leaves it there.  Archie has thousands of words in his head and can't always find the ones he needs.  Along the way he will find love and even a little fame.  He will also find pain and betrayal.

The book is the work of an author who has a feel for the story and the character.  He has an ear for the time and place.  It is a book that wouldn't let me go.

Which is not to say it is perfect.  Reel could use a really good editor.  One to help clean up a few things in the writing without ever disturbing the special voice of this author.

A pretty good profit from investing the courage to ask.  A nice addition to some pretty good pizza.

Rating - **** Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment