Saturday, November 10, 2012

Five People You Meet in Heaven review

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - (2004) Based on the book by Mitch Albom the movie is the story of an 80 year old Army vet who dies trying to save a little girl's life at the amusement park where he has worked since he was a kid himself.  When he arrives in the next world he's met by five people from his own life who are there to help him understand all that he has been through.

I really enjoyed Albom's first best selling mainstream book "Tuesdays With Morrie" which was the primary reason I put this movie into my queue. (I've never seen the movie of "Tuesdays" and I've never read the book of "Five People".  That seems weird to me but there it is).  So I had no idea of what was coming.

My first impression was not good.  The movie starts off slowly and feels like a made for TV movie (which it was) rather than a major motion picture.  It just felt awkward, clunky and a little cheesy.  The good news is that eventually the movie finds itself and gets much better.  The movie isn't perfect and it's still the kind of feel good, heart warming ending that you'd expect but at least it's a well done one.

Rating - *** Worth a Look

No comments:

Post a Comment