Thursday, April 14, 2011

View From the Phlipside - Misuse of Language

My name is Jay Phillippi and I've spent my life in and around the media.  TV, radio, the movies and more.  I love them, and I hate them and I always have an opinion.  Call this the View from the Phlipside.

All right people this week we’re going back to basics.  The most basic level of communication media.  We’re talking language here.  Could be spoken or written although the two examples that are setting me off were both in written form.

I will admit that I think, worry, ponder and meditate on the subject of how words are used a lot more than any normal person.  I’m OK with that.  I certainly would not list myself as a language expert but as a deeply interested dilettante.  I love language when it is used well and creatively.  Doesn’t matter if it is thebeauty of a Shakespearean sonnet or a truly inventive bit of word play.  I love it.

Over the weekend the utter disregard that some people
Never heard of this book but this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!
 have for language really got to me.  Driving down Interstate 90 I came upon one of those traffic warning overhead signs.  The ones that can tell you about traffic delays or how long the wait is on the Peace Bridge.  This one said “Illegal Cell Use Strictly Enforced”.  Now we all know that they mean the latest ban on using your cell while driving unless you have a hands free device.  But that’s NOT what the sign said.  The sign said that they will be strictly enforcing the use of cell phones illegally.  The exact opposite of what they mean.  Now some will say “Everyone knows what they mean what difference does it make what they said?”  It makes a very big difference in fact.  Our growing casual disregard for proper use of language is opening ever wider the chasm of misunderstanding.  As the world gets more complicated making sure that we are understood will become of greater and greater importance.  Twisting language to obscure meaning is a potent political tool used over and over by tyrants.  When we no longer care enough to pay attention to what is actually being said we open ourselves to futures I am certain we will not enjoy.

A former co-worker of mine insisted on referring something as being a mute point, m-u-t-e, rather than a moot point, m-o-o-t.  The difference is profound.  A moot point is one open to discussion, a mute point is one that is silent.  If we do not care about how language is used we will all fall into that second category.

Call that the View From the Phlipside

"The View From the Phlipside" airs on WRFA-LP Jamestown NY.  You can listen to WRFA online HERE
Copyright - Jay Phillippi 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment